Thursday, May 14th, 2009

Neuroblastoma, they just said NEUROBLASTOMA out loud on Grey's Anatomy. Although most people don't know what that is-CHILDHOOD CANCER-there are a lot of us that do. Before Hannah was diagnosed, I watched Grey's religiously. After she had her surgery, and she was still critical in the Peds ICU, I turned it on in the hospital room. It took me about 30 seconds to realize that there was no way I could watch it anymore. To see all those people in the hospital, bleeding, dying, it was way too much for me. I didn't watch after that. Now that Hannah is out of treatment, I started watching it again. She came in one night when it was on and said "Eew, how could anyone watch that?" Sometimes it still gets to me, especially with their story line now about cancer.

Last week during his tv special, Michael J. Fox said "from every bad thing this disease has brought into my life, it has brought good twice fold." I'm still trying to wrap my arms around that one, but I do see the truth in it. We have had so many good things come into our lives, so many good people. Do you know that every week people still drop off cans at our house for Hannah's Cans for Cancer? Small amounts, HUGE amounts, everything counts. Do you know that the Kellys spend their time washing out EVERY can so that Hannah wouldn't have to touch any germs from them? Unbelievable.

Tonight we see a very large ad in our local newspaper for Hannah's Cans for Cancer. Again, good things and great people that have come into our lives. Our friends, the McKillops own a beverage center here. Some time ago we began taking our cans there for recycling at their request. They have been so generous to us. They set up a program so that people who brought in their cans could donate to Cans for Cancer. So today we open the paper and see a very large advertisement announcing Hannah's Cans for Cancer and a raffle they are holding. Their ad read that usually at this of year they advertise specials for the season, but this time, they were announcing something more important-Hannah's Cans for Cancer. So if you are local, please go in and check it out and support them..Riverhead Beverage Center in Riverhead. WOW...I mean WOW!

And these are just a few examples. I could go on and on. For all of the bad that we have experienced through Hannah's cancer, we have experienced so much good.


And Hannah...not so good right now. She was home today from school again. I have an email in to her oncologist now to see if he wants to change something, hoping he has an idea. I wish we hadn't changed her medicine, she had been doing so well. Here she is today... she felt terrible. This morning she wouldn't eat again and said her stomach hurt, and her throat really hurt. She went back to bed and slept until 2pm. She woke up and still wouldn't eat, or really drink. Finally around 5pm she ate a bit. She said her stomach no longer hurt, but her throat did and she just felt bad. She is congested and miserable. She did pep up a bit tonight, we'll have to see what tomorrow brings.
Kim

No comments: