Monday, August 25, 2008

What a superstar we have! Hannah's play was Saturday night, and it was incredible! It's just amazing how they begin on Monday, end on Saturday, and put on an entire production of Hansel and Gretel. Here are a few pictures from the production. Hannah really had a good time and was very proud. She said she cried backstage because one of the kids was a bit intense, yelling and creating tension, which made her nervous. She asked me "when I came out to say spiders, could you see the tears in my eyes?" No I couldn't. Here is Hannah getting her makeup done, and then on stage.







I was so happy that Hannah agreed to participate in the play. I think it really helped a lot in interaction with other kids. Although, when I showed up at lunch on the two days, she was out eating in the hallway with the assistant director, not wanting to be with the kids. She even had a friend in the group, who is also in her class this year, but that's the way it is. She would rather be with adults, or someone who is there to help only her (like her helper Marissa in the play). I see this time and time again, not just with Hannah but with all cancer kids. They shy away from regular interaction with kids their own age, and interact more with adults. It's an odd thing, but very noticeable for myself and other cancer parents. It sets out kids apart, and will always set them apart, no matter how hard others try to get them involved.

We're watching Ted Kennedy on tv right now at the Democratic convention. He looks good...even after brain surgery, proton radiation therapy (just like Hannah) and chemotherapy. You can see his hair gone on the left side of his head, he walks with assistance, and his speech seemed a bit stilted. He put on a good show, and I can imagine that now he will immediately go and lay down.

We go for Hannah's MRI of the head only tomorrow morning, we'll post results tomorrow after we get them. I'm nervous. I just keep thinking of little Julian, and how he recurred at 9 months (this is Hannah's 9 month post treatment MRI). Julian only lived for 6 months after that. Sleeping tonight will be a challenge.


Kim

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys!
It really looks like you guys are enjoying the last bits of summer. I can remember clamming with my dad when I was little and shukking the clams right on shore and gobbling them up! LOL YUM! :0) I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers liitle Miss Hannah for a wonderfully clean, NED-MRI tomorrow. :0) Oh and Tod is a CUTIE PATOOTIE DOGGIE!

Bonnie and Gina
www.caringbridge.org/visit/ginamulieri

Anonymous said...

Hello to the Prokop family!
Wanted to let you know I'll be saying my prayers, thinking of you all!
Love, Anne Salice

Anonymous said...

Oh How much fun that looked! Hannah you look great and it sounds like you did a fantastic job!!
We will be praying for great MRI report. I can't wait to hear All Clear! You are doing sooo good.

Kim, i'm hearing you. Kasey would much rather be with the grown ups in the room than with anyone else. It is so hard to try and convince him to just go play with the kids. Sometimes he will and sometimes he won't. Hope school for both girls goes great with no trouble.

Hugs,
Amy... Kasey's mom

Anonymous said...

Hello Hannah and Kim,

The play looked like it was so much fun! You look like a star Miss Hannah! Today community theater, tomorrow...the Disney Channel?

Happy Back to School! Hurray!
Love, Sarah and Caroline