Saturday, June 21, 2008

As I mentioned in my last post, here is Hannah's memoir. They were asked to write about one significant event in their lives, and here is what Hannah chose (I typed the text exactly as she wrote it herself)-

Hannah's Memoir


At first I had an mri and that's how they found out I had a brain tumor. The second I heard, I cried because I couldn't believe it. It was so scary. I went straight to the hospital. When I was in the hospital I was sick. I had Megloblastoma. Which is a kind of cancer. When I got to the hospital I had surgery. At least it didn't hurt. I got anesthesia. Anesthesia is air that makes you go to sleep. When they gave me the anesthesia, I was sort of scared. They put the anesthesia mask on I breathed slowly , I felt sleepy. I shut my eyes for a second. I thought mom was gone, but she wasn't. Then I fell asleep. When I got out of surgery I was sleepy. I opened my eyes, there was mom and dad, but right after, my head started bleeding because they didn't close where they took the tumor out. So they had to put staples in my head. Then they had to find me a room it probably took three hours because it was so busy.

When I got to my room, I saw a lot of nurses. My first day in the hospital was so boring and hard. Then, I had to get IV's and medicine. One of the medicines made my hair fall out. It was called chemotherapy. I wasn't so happy. Then I was allowed to go home. But still, I had to get IV's at home. The unusual thing about having IV's at home is that my mom had to put the needle in and take the needle out.

When I went back into second grade I was nervous because I thought that I was going to be the only kid with short hair, and the only kid wearing a hat. But when I walked in "surprise" they were all wearing hats.

TODAY I AM CANCER FREE!!!!!


My hair is growing back. I said I wanted my hair to grow long and not get it cut. Today (Saturday, June 14th) I got my hair trimmed. When I just got done with all my treatment I decided since the hospital had no working games, I bought 3 Wii's because it helps make kids fit and stronger. I decided to raise money for the hospital and kids that are sick and injured. We called it Cans for Cancer because we collect cans, or sometimes people bring cans and bottles to my house and we recycle them, then we give the money to kids who have cancer and to hospitals who need crafts and other games. On June 6th the school did a fundraiser that was called Hats on for Hannah they raised $3,203.53.


♥♥♥ Kim ♥♥♥

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hannah, even though we have never met, I am so proud of you and feel honored to call you my friend. You are an inspiration to children everywhere.

Take care and keep making a difference.
Hugs,

Miss Kathy
http://brownbagforacure.org