Monday, June 23, 2008

The school year is winding down and we are preparing for our Disney trip. Yes, DISNEY! Have I mentioned this before? When Hannah was getting close to the end of treatment, we started talking about what she wanted to do when this nightmare treatment was finally over. She wanted two things-a big party to celebrate and a trip to Disney to swim with the dolphins. We did start planning her BIG party, but it became quickly apparent that this BIG party was going to be BIG bucks. I told her we could do the big party, but we wouldn't be able to go to Disney right away. Disney and the dolphins won over, so we're off! This Saturday we head to Mickey Land for a week. When Hannah found out it would just be our family-well that wouldn't work for her. She invited Grandma and Grandpa and Aunt Susie and Sydney. Everyone said YES, so it will be the 8 of us total.

Wish us luck! Why? Well I haven't talked much about it yet. Everyone looks at our family from the outside-everything looks "normal", everything looks "fine." Now-if you're a cancer parent you know what I'm going to say next. It's not really fine. Hannah's brain just doesn't function the same way it used to-or the same way that other kids' do. She gets unusually emotional over small things, she gets frustrated easily, she cries every day. This has been an issue all year in school, since she is crying in front of her classmates on a regular basis. She said it's embarrassing, but she can't control it. She told me it just comes very quickly and then she cries before she can stop it.

It's not just school either. I was upset after her birthday party last week. It was just confirmation for me that things are and will remain different from now on. Did she have a good time? She did, except for the crying, she said. She was upset when they started to play miniature golf since everyone was going much more quickly than she was. The girls were excited, and were playing and having a good time, but Hannah was left behind. She was crying and throwing her golf club down saying she wanted to quit, no-one would wait for her and asking why she was always the last one done. Oh boy. Thanks to Sascha's mom for helping bring the group together with me. I'm afraid at this rate, Hannah won't have any good friends soon, as she gets older and kids get more and more critical of each other, scared of the differences of others.

Next Hannah got hurt on the big water slide. I don't know what happened, she was going down the slide which was very big, and it seems that when she came down near the end, her body compressed, rather than supporting itself. She was crying and screaming her chest hurt. I had to jump on and go get her. She is still complaining that it hurts, and Dave was wondering if maybe she could have cracked a rib, her sternum? I'm waiting for a response back from her oncologist team regarding their opinion on an xray.

Tonight Hannah happened to see some clay animals that she made last week that I threw away (hey, I can't save everything.) She was so mad, she wouldn't talk to me, and she ran in her room crying. I got them out, but the dog was missing his ears. She spent the next 45 minutes trying to put ears back on, crying the whole time. When she got that done, the tail fell off, so the whole cycle started again.

These are just a couple examples of the issues. Her short term memory is noticeably deteriorating. A couple weeks ago we had been at our regular Friday night gymnastics class. About 3 minutes after we were in the car and driving away Hannah asked me "where were we?" Colby just looked at me with this perplexed look on her face. Hannah is quite good at writing things down now to remember them. That leads to notes all over the house, and getting up at different hours of the night from bed to write something down. Last week after doing her homework she wrote a note that said "tell Mrs. W. that I didn't get the math tonight." Good strategy I guess.

It has been a bit difficult explaining it to Colby. I just tell her that Hannah's brain is different and it doesn't work the way it used to, or the way it should sometimes. This sometimes leads to inequities between responsibilities they have, leniences given to Hannah that aren't given to Colby at times. I try hard to watch this, it's not fair, although sometimes necessary. Hannah had been getting so frustrated and hitting her sister lately. We tried to work out a strategy with Colby that each time Hannah hit her, Colby would write it on Hannah's chore chart. This led to Colby writing the hits down, with Hannah standing next to her, getting more and more upset, finally stabbing Colby in the arm with a pen after Colby wrote down about 10 hits. Obviously this strategy didn't work.

So there is my woe for the evening. Things appear normal on the outside, and that's all good, but on the inside, we're still grieving the loss of a normal life for Hannah with no more crying days, normal friend relationships, fun birhday parties, normal eating, emotional stability, just everyday kids things etc., etc., etc.

♥♥♥ Kim ♥♥♥

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah & Family,

I just found your site tonight via a Caringbridge page & wanted to wish all of you a very fun time in Disney & lots of happy times together!!

:) Erin

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim and Miss Hannah!
Your birthday party looked like a fun place to be! I hope you enjoyed yourself as much as possible.
Yes, Kim... I can relate. Don't worry about Hannah though, she will adapt and she will have friends. But, it is different. It sucks to watch your kid get left behind. Kasey doesn't have any "real" friends. He hasn't for a long time. I invite the kids over and entertain, just so he has the interaction. Half the time they end up playing with his brother. It's so hard. Believe me.. as the mom of a cancer kid, I get it! I really get it. I wish it was easier. I mean after all, our babies get diagnosed with this horrible disease, they grow up so fast, mature quickly, and overcome this nightmare, just to have it linger and always be around. Hannah will be a strong, independant young lady, and she will grow into an amazing skilled and experienced woman. As far as your Colby goes... I feel for her too. I know that my Colbey gets the short end of the stick at times too. I do what I can to explain things to him, but he is younger and sometimes just doesn't understand. I do know that counseling with a pediatric cancer counselor has helped us a lot. She helped us with stratagies, and the why's and how comes of what Kasey does and how to work with it. She has also helped Colbey by allowing him to talk and be heard. She has also helped a lot with getting Kasey the help and interaction he needs in school. So, just a thought if you haven't already done it.
I am praying for a wonderful trip to Disney. The Princess and her family deserves the vacation. It's always funner when you have more people to go too! Enjoy!
Thinking of you and praying!
Amy.... Kasey's mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Prokops!
Well I read your entry over and over, started my note over and over- but I want to say the perfect thing- to say something so profound it could fix it all- I can't! I just know that I feel for you, I say my prayers for you and all the people touched by this horrible disease! I know it changes things forever, but we keep moving on, we change, we "heal"- well whatever that might mean. For the simplest of lives some days are harder than others, so for you the hard days are really hard, but remember all you have gotten thru, you will make it thru, keep your head high and know there are so many of us around you- thinking of you, praying for you- always!!
My love and prayers, Anne Salice

Anonymous said...

Dear Hannah,
We hope you, Colby, Mom and Dad have a wonderful vacation at Disney World. We went there a long time ago, 1982, just after our oldest son graduated from high school. We knew it would be our last vacation together for the six Griffins. Make sure you ride "It's a Small World", my very favorite. Our Tara lost her wallet on the "Thunder Mountain" ride, which caused such stress that I remember it today, so hold onto your money, dear Hannah. We also had a wonderful time at the water park, but I don't know if that is still at Disney World.
Love, Judy and Dennis Griffin

Anonymous said...

Hi guys! Have soooo much fun at Disney - the boys have been wanting to go really bad, but we're waiting until they are old enought to ride all the rides, etc., and really enjoy the whole experience.

I feel for you Kim, I really do. I've seen this in my friends whose children have gone through cancer - I know it's tough to go through and it's unfair because haven't you already gone through enough?! But you guys will have the strength to figure out how to handle the behaviors and the differences in Hannah. She is obviously very resilient and very strong, so she's going to be able to get through it too.

I think and pray for you all every day and I am sending you "good trip" prayers for Disney!

Love you all lots and lots!

Angela