Friday, June 20, 2008

A lot to report since my last update. First, the medical stuff. Hannah saw the endocrinologist this week regarding her growth and osteopenia. Frankly, I thought it was a total waste of time. He immediately said to me "she doesn't have osteoepenia." I asked him if he had seen her xrays-NO. I don't think he had even looked at her chart either. I won't go on and on, but he did want her to have a dexa scan-which measures bone density-but he wouldn't give me the prescription for it. He told me that he does his "thinking" on Fridays, but this Friday he had a graduation party, so it would be a bit longer before he would do his "thinking" about Hannah. When I asked him what the treatment would be if it was found that her bone density was low, he said it wouldn't be any different from what he was recommending now-800 mg of calcium per day. He told me that he would get back to me after his "thinking" and he could give me the script for the dexa scan then because "it wasn't going to change anytime soon anyway, so no need to be in a hurry." I was less than satisfied, and will be seeing another endocrinologist at Stony Brook for a second opinion. By the way Paul, I asked the doctor about a pediatric baseline and about the IVA, and he didn't really give me an answer on either-didn't even know what the IVA was!!

Hannah had a country presentation at school this week. Her class' country was Italy and they did two dances. Her is Hannah on stage doing the Tarantella, an Italian dance, and then came out into the crowd to teach us a line dance. The class was great, and after I got over my fear of Hannah being pulled to the ground by the group, I enjoyed it!


Last weekend was also our local strawberry festival. This is a BIG event in our town, and I took the girls-Colby, Tori, Emilie, Abby and Hannah on Friday night. We had a good time, Hannah got hurt on a fun house ride, where she tripped on the stairs. Osteopenia or what?



Hannah had her birthday party today with her friends. We went to a place that had putt putt golfing, a huge waterslide and a water balloon catapult game. Let's see, how do I summarize the party.





They had fun, there was crying, Hannah got hurt on the waterslide-she came down and said her chest hurt, it was like it somehow compressed her chest and hurt her. Oh boy, such mixed feelings. I'll write more later, but I just put it into words right now. I don't think she'll even have another "normal" party.

I have a memoir from Hannah to share with you, but will leave that until next time since this post is so long already!

♥♥♥ Kim ♥♥♥

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look at that hair!!!! BEE-UTIFUL!!

Love,
The Reyes Clan

Anonymous said...

What fun! I'm packing my bags to join you all- you have way too much fun! It never ceases to amaze me how Dr's can be. Who do they think is keeping them in business? Glad you guys are enjoyng summer!
Michelle
www.caringbridge.org/visit/diegofuentes

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Hannah! Look at that hair - SO BEAUTIFUL!

I just got done reading about your visit with the "thinking" doctor....it's just so frustrating! We went through that with Noah and finally we were able to get some answers. Had a doctor said he only does his "thinking" on Fridays, I think I would have hurt him! ha!

Everything will be fine and I'm sending extra big prayers your way!

Sending lots of love from Illinois!

Angela