Sunday, May 11, 2008

RELAY FOR LIFE UPDATE...50 LUMINARIAS!!!!


We now have 50...it's wonderful! Erin and her mom came over today to make raise our count to 50! We also still have quite a few people who have asked for a luminaria, but not finalized yet, so we're hoping that number will still go a bit higher.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY MOM
AND ALL THE MOMS OUT THERE

I want to share a story with you for mother's day. It's not a mom story, but still a story of love involving a sister. Unbeknownst to me, my sister Sue wrote to Build a Bear entering a contest on Hannah's behalf called Huggable Heroes. This is an annual contest to honor kids doing great things in their community. Last year 10 kids were honored with the Huggable Hero award and won $10,000 in scholarship money and money for their charity. All of the kids' stories are amazing in their own ways, raising money for everything from cancer to homeless people to poverty to kids in foster care. Sue submitted Hannah for her work with Hannah's Cans for Cancer. I was so honored that she would submit Hannah. She didn't tell me about it until afterwards. Hannah was honored with an honorable mention, which is fantastic.

It's things like this that really warms your heart through this journey. Here is her story for Hannah:

I am writing to you about my niece, Hannah Prokop. She was diagnosed with a brain tumor on January 31, 2007. She has since undergone surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy. Currently she is doing well be will have to monitored forever for this condition.

I wanted to tell you about what she has done in her community and for the hospital where she had her surgery. She started last spring between radiation and chemotherapy and had a bake sale. She was able to raise $400.00 at the sale and donated the entire amount to an organization that is called Smiles for Scott Foundation. This little boy died of the same disease as my niece. Every Friday the family and volunteers for the organization take candy to all the kids. They can have as much as they want and my niece wanted to make sure that they would not run out. They gave her a plaque and certificate for her donation.

The next project that she under took was to have people drop off cans and bottles at her home to raise money for the hospital at Stony Brook New York for the toy room because a lot of the toys are broken or missing pieces. She has raised over $1000.00 and has been on a few shopping trips to by the toys and take it to the hospital.

She has done all of this while fighting this horrible disease. She is only 8 years old and has shown more strength than a lot of people that I know. Hannah also has a blog site that you can read all about her and her journey. The site is hannapro.blogspot.com. Thank you for considering her for your award.


I love you Sue. xoxo Kim

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your honorable mention! That is really exciting. The trip to New York looked like loads of fun, too. You are all keeping really busy!

Has the pool construction started yet? We are looking forward to seeing the progress!

Love,
The Reyes Family

Anonymous said...

Hannah,

Uncle Victor loved his bag. That is really cool that you have so many bags to do. I hope that you have the time to do all of them.

It sounds like Saturday was a great day. I wish that I could have seen the play. We will see you soon.

Love,
Aunt Susie

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim-
Wow, I've been behing on reading pages, and YOU HAVE BEEN BUSY! I laughed when I saw you were taking down a playset, and we are getting ready to put one up! Too bad we didn't live closer! :) Also giggled at the pic Hannah took of you bent over in pain- SORRY! :) Leave it to Hannah to think of taking a picture.
I'm soooo proud of your girl, so I can imagine how you feel. She's an inspiration- because of you. What you are doing for the cause is amazing. You could say, "she beat it, we're done" but you keep working for the good of others, and I admire that so much.
The Lion King and limo sounded like a blast! AND your pool- how fun that will be!
Hope you had a Happy Mother's Day kim. We'll pray for Hannah's leg, and self-esteem. I too wonder about the emotional damage along with the physical...
Enjoy every day, I know you do.
Much Love from Iowa,
Peggy and the team