Tuesday, April 8, 2008

We're home and all is well. THAT PORT IS OUT, for ever and ever (we hope and pray). Hannah did really well today. We arrived at the hospital at 5:30am this morning and were all checked in when they came in to say the doctor was in surgery with an emergency appendectomy. So, we waited! They took Hannah and I to the back room at about 9:20am. I was able to go back with her while they used the mask to put her to sleep. Thank goodness the nurse anesthetist was very good, singing her to sleep because Hannah was not happy and a bit upset at this. They have never used the mask before, she has always had an IV or her port was accessed and they used medicine to knock her out quickly. This took a little longer, but as it started to take effect, she became sleepy and much happier. The surgery officially began at 9:45am. She was done by 9:56am, about 10 minutes. The doctor came out to tell us all was good, went perfectly. She has to be careful for 2 weeks not to hit the area. All stitches are internal, just a surgical strip on the outside (that Hannah wants no part of, and can't look at). Nothing needs to be removed, and as long as it heals nicely, we're all done.

Hannah is quite sore at the port site. She won't move her arm, the same thing she used to do when she was accessed. It will most likely be sore for a couple of days, so we'll just see how it goes. She is already cleared to go back to school, when she feels up to it.

The doctor is saving her port for her. It first has to be cleaned, then sent to pathology. Insurance won't cover the surgery unless pathology confirms that it actually came out. We'll get it back in a couple weeks. Hannah is deciding exactly what to do with it. I like the idea of trampling it with a horse, so I'll be sure to pass that one along Ann!

Here are a few pictures from the day. As I look at others' websites, I wish I had had more pictures of Hannah when this experience first started. So even though it may seem strange, I was taking pictures today as she prepared for the surgery. I think she is used to it, she didn't think twice! This last picture was just taken here at home, after some soup she asked for something really yummy, so she had a double scooper ice cream cone. Unfortunately, she didn't like the one ice cream that much and ended up gagging on it. Needless to say, we won't be having that one again.

Thanks to all of you for your well wishes and prayers.

xoxo Kim


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

ADIOS..to that old PORT ! What a great idea having a horse just demolish it, just make sure you get a few pounces on it first !!!!
Hannah, we are going to a gymnastics meet at the University of Florida this weekend. They are awesome. It is good to know that you are still keeping up with gymnastics. HAPPY HANDSTANDS !!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Hannah.....I am so happy that your surgery went well and you are back home. I wish you a very quick recovery, good health, and happiness always. I love you very much! Love always, Aunt Josephine

PS....I think a horse...or horses trampling the port is a good idea....go for it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah,
I'm happy that you are done with having your surgery. I HOPE that you feel better soon. I also want to see you soon.
LOVE,
SARAH

Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah,
I'm happy that you are done with having your surgery. I HOPE that you feel better soon. I also want to see you soon.
LOVE,
SARAH

Anonymous said...

Hello Hannah!

You did it! You are done! What great news! Now it's time to going back to being a regular ol' kid again! Hurray! We hope you can have icecream for breakfast, too!

Sarah and Caroline

Anonymous said...

Hannah Banana way to go! You are such a brave young lady! I am so proud of you and you must be so happy to get rid of that old port! Happy Horsebacking over it!
You look so beautiful in your pictures. I hope to be able to see you soon.
Love to all the Prokops!
Mrs V

Anonymous said...

Hooray Hannah!
I am so happy for you! You got that port out like a pro.. but don't worry, you will be back to perfect here in a bit. We thought of you today as we were on the other end of that deal.
I am glad you did great and got to go home and try to enjoy that icecream. Kasey has filled up on Scooby Doo Fruit snacks and fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. So far he has kept that down. He didn't do so well with dinner earlier, but for some reason fruit snacks and cookies sounded yummy.
I will check back on you later Team Hannah! Glad your doing awesome! Love the new pictures!

Hugs...
Amy.. Kasey's mom

Anonymous said...

Oh happy day! I am so excited for you and that the port is GONE!!!!

You look wonderful and seeing that big smile is SUCH A BLESSING!!! We have been sending extra thoughts and prayers your way and it looks like it's working!

We love you lots and lots and can't wait to see you!

Take care everyone - Angela

Anonymous said...

I bet you are so happy to have the port out!!! I think I like the horse idea too LOL Make sure your mom takes pictures of that too ;)
Becca