Thursday, April 17, 2008

Yesterday was a very sad day here in our town. Deacon John Bopp, a beloved member of our community and church died unexpectedly on Sunday from complications from surgery for colon cancer. He was just diagnosed recently, and I hadn't been aware that he had cancer until I heard of his death.

Deacon Bopp baptized Colby, and most recently lead her training classes to be an altar server. I have never seen a more patient man! He was just very caring, very easy going, and a pleasure to know. He was so gracious to our family after Hannah was diagnosed and told us about his son that had died of cancer a few years back. He always used to remark that he had a little granddaughter by the same name-Hannah Grace. We all met Hannah Grace the night of his wake, what a cutie she is.

Last night was a mass in the church for Deacon Bopp. It was very emotional for the altar servers, and in turn for the community. We were all there, but Hannah wasn't feeling well, so she went home early with Dave. She really didn't want to leave, but it was a good thing she did, she didn't feel that great at home either.

It is difficult for me to go to a funeral without thinking of all our little cancer warriors that have lost their lives. I thought of Julian and Jessica and Shelby and Cody and Sarah, I could go on and on. It's hard not to visualize those little children in their little caskets. Then, it's hard to hold back tears. So, I find funerals difficult. But one thing a deacon said last night stuck with me. He said "the children here tonight cry because they do not understand death the same way we do, and they are sad. Our life here on earth is only time spent preparing us to go home with God, which is our destiny." Or something very close to that. I found that very interesting. Our time only earth is only to prepare us for our ultimate destiny. Some of us have more time than others, some of us have such a very short time.

xoxo Kim

And to our friend Sister Anne-we were so happy to see you there last night, you looked great! Keep up the good work, we all miss you and can't wait to see you back on the North Fork very soon! We love you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Prokop Crew,
God gave man freewill, so thats why he allows bad things to happen on earth. Our lives on earth is like one second in Heaven.Heaven is forever.The people and families left on Earth have the hard part.People have to turn mourning into memories. I know that is hard to do.I hope all is well, and look foward to seeing you all soon, Love Tom and Sue

Anonymous said...

Hi there Team Hannah!
Oh.. I don't care who ya are.. when our friends, loved ones, neighbors, whoever dies and goes on to Heaven.. it's sad.. I will cry and cry.. however.. we can rejoice that they are in Heaven, and we Do get to meet again. It's that whole emotional thing that takes over.. I don't think we can control it. I am so glad we serve an Awesome Powerful God who has mercy and lots and lots of patience!! LOL
I love the doggy pics. Are those your puppies.. and Miss Hannah.. those were some fabulous looking cookies. I have a thing for cookies. I have a thing for cookie dough! You can't go wrong there! I hope your portless sight is healling nicely! I hope you guys are getting some great weather! It's freezing here! YIKES. Last weekend it was 82, this weekend supposed to be 30!! I don't like drastic weather changes.. I was just getting used to shorts and capris!
Have a great weekend!
Hugs.. Amy.. Kasey's mom