Friday, April 26, 2008

Well I must say that Hannah continues to surprise me. Thursday we went to Pine School in Indiana to speak with a few classes about Hannah's Cans for Cancer program. Our friend Anna, a 5th grader at Pine School and the head of the student council, is heading up a "Hats on for Cancer day" at their school next week to benefit Hannah's Can's for Cancer program.

Hannah was fine until we got to the school. Then she got nervous (along with Colby) and didn't want to go into the classroom. I finally convinced her that the kids were 2nd graders, and so much younger than she (ha ha) and that they really wanted to hear what she had to say. So the teacher put Colby and Hannah and I standing up in front of the class ("oh no" I was thinking). Anna introduced us and the Hats off event for next week, then Hannah began talking about her program to help other kids with cancer. AND DID SHE TALK...AND TALK..AND TALK. She did awesome! Everyone became more comfortable, and Colby chimed in to add things too. I was so proud of both of them.

Then we went on to another 2nd grade classroom, and MORE TALKING. It was great. And, the whole time there was a reporter from the local newspaper and a photographer snapping many pictures. We were so impressed with the work that their student council has done. They made posters to hang around the school with pictures of Hannah to encourage everyone to participate. They also said they want to challenge our school...Cutchogue East...to have a Hats on for Cancer and see how much money they can raise too, and see who wins! Hannah is looking forward to talking to her own school about the idea!

So tomorrow is cousin Sydney's first communion and we're all excited. We have been having a great time with everyone, and the girls love to hang out with Sydney. Today we all went to the salon to get our hair done, I'll have to write about that later. Hannah was happy with painted nails and pigtails!

xoxo Kim

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hannah I am so totally impressed with your incredible bravery and fortitude (have mom look that up for you). To get up in front of people and talk a scary thing for most people and yet true to form you knocked their socks off! Colby and Mom kudos to you too. Your passion for the cause is inspirational! Have fun at the communion and enjoy the rest of your trip.
Love
Mrs V

Anonymous said...

Dear Hannah,
Sounds pretty cool, I could never go in front of a croud and do that; during the try-outs (for the school play) I was practically hiding behind a script I had!! Well, anyway...CUTCHOGUE EAST WILL BEAT PINE SCHOOL'S BUTT!!!!!!
-Tori :]

Anonymous said...

Dear Hannah Sunshine Kim Colby and Dave,
I pray you are all having a wonderful visit with your family. I hope the weather has been as nice there as here in Mattituck! It certainly sounds as if you are as busy in Indiana as you keep yourself her at home. Have you had the chance to visit the library there?
I was blessed with a fabulous visit with my grandson Jacob. He arrived to Grandmama and Grandpa's on Monday and stayed until Thursday. We all had such a wonderful time together. took Jacob to the Greenport carousel and to the beach. He loved playing with the sand and then wiping his hands off.
I really miss him now though.
I can not wait to hear more about Hats for cancer adventure. Do we get to wear any hat or purchase one from you to wear. This is a great time of season to do this. I look forward our hat day at Cutchogue East School. Should be a wonderful time. Hannah, I am so gald you were able to speak at the Pine School and know you did a great job and were able to be such an inspiration to so many people. Thank you for always bringing awareness to others and touching so many hearts.
Enjoy the rest of your visit with family and Sydney's communion.
I will see you soon at school.
I Love You Much,
Love & Blessings,
Mrs. Baker (Lynnis)

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Hannah!!!! I am so proud of you!! I'm TERRIFIED of public speaking, and I can only imagine the courage it took for you to do that. But it sounds like you're a natural!!!! :)

Congratulations to Cousin Sydney. I hope today goes well. Can't wait to hear about the salon. :)

Happy Sunday, Team Hannah.

~Heide
m/o ^Jessica^; forever 17
http://caringbridge.org/visit/jessicarandall
TEAM UNITE! Help Conquer Childhood Cancer!