Thursday, March 20, 2008

Today was a very monumental day at our house-Hannah had her ears pierced. This may not seem like such a big event, but it is so significant for us. In our house, the deal has always been that you get your ears pierced when you are eight years old (or older, if you choose). Colby had her ears pierced on her 8th birthday. Hannah absolutely could not wait to follow in those footsteps. She has been asking me since she turned eight-last June 6th-if she could get her ears pierced. Of course she couldn't while she was on chemo and so sick. She was neutropenic for so long, it was out of the question. After her last MRI, we checked with the doctor and although there was still a very slight risk, they gave their ok for the ear piercing. The risk is that if she gets an infection that prompts a fever, this would require a hospital stay for antibiotics because of her port she still has. The risk is small, and the desire was large for Hannah, so we went ahead with it.

So the day started with much anticipation of the event. Everything was still good when we got to the store and picked out the earrings. But then Hannah was having second thoughts-she was concerned that it would hurt. This was coming from a little girl who has been through 2 brain surgeries, agonizing physical therapy, full body radiation, and horrible chemotherapy with all of it's side effects. She was worried about having her ears pierced, even though it was something she desperately wanted to do. We stopped and I asked her if she really wanted to do this, reminding her that she could wait until later, it was ok. But she wanted to forge ahead. She cried, and then cried some more. She said it hurt worse than having her port accessed! Colby was awesome, holding her hands and comforting her. She calmed a bit as it was over ad she started perusing the store for fun earrings.

Everything seemed ok, until later when Hannah realized that she couldn't take the earrings out for swimming or sleeping. She is very concerned about touching them or accidentally hitting them. Tonight as she was going to bed, she got very upset. She did not want to sleep with the earrings in, and said to me "should I wait until later to get my ears pierced?" I told her she could take them out if she wanted to, but she opted to try it tonight and see how it went. She cried herself to sleep.

So on a day that started out with such anticipation and happiness, it ends with a bittersweet closing. Another thing cancer has taken from Hannah.

I'll update again tomorrow to let you know how it's going and whether those ears are still pierced! Here are some pictures of the event unfolding. She gave a valiant smile at the end!

xoxo Kim

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Hannah,
Cool! You got your ears pierced! My mom told me that when I went to go get mine pierced (I was 8 also) that when I sat in the chair, waiting for the lady to come put holes in my ears, my face was pale white. My mom thought I was going to pass out! Ha Ha. Well hope its all going well! See you soon!
Tori :]