Sunday, March 16, 2008

Happy Birthday Colby! Colby turned 11 on Friday the 14th, and we tried to fit in her celebration between early band at 7:30am, school, gymnastics 4:30-6:00pm and altar server last practice 7:30pm. Colby LOVED her horseshoe cake that Hannah and I made for her last night. Hannah is happiest when baking or swimming. That girl would bake while she swims if that was possible!

I would love to post pictures today, but I'm using Hannah's computer right now instead of mine so I don't have access to my photos. Why? Well I have no power cord again, due to our wonderful little Tod. This afternoon wonderful Tod chewed his 2nd Mac power cord. And, it was plugged in! It didn't seem to stop him, the cord this time was in about 20 pieces. Just love that dog.

Thanks for all of your Make A Wish well wishes. I wanted to share a few other comments from parents, this seems to be a big point of discussion lately on the cancer boards that I belong to. Here are a few thoughts from others:

"A few months later, in clinic, our neuro-onc looked me in the eye and said, "why haven't you called MAW yet?"...I told her that MAW was for really sick kids. Our poor, long suffering doctor drained my river of Denial pretty gently...and I made the call. Ok, I wimped out and e-mailed, but I contacted them...I cried while I did it."

"It's hard. MAW somehow cracks that final barricade we have as parents, that thin line of "at least my child isn't so sick that they can have a wish"...and at the same time it helps heal the wounds this illness inflicts on the family and especially our brain tumor kid."

My husband and I were talking in Matt's room late at night and he broke down and forcefully said, "I don't use the make a wish foundation, I donate to the make a wish foundation!" I think the thought of Matt being a wish kid is just too much for him to handle -that would be admitting he's really sick. It's had to pretend your 4th grader is just like every other 4th grader if they are taking a wish trip.

"It took me a long time to believe inside of myself that we weren't different from everyone else with a brain tumor kid, that we didn't belong there, that someone had made a big mistake and would soon call up to correct it."

That pretty much sums it up, I thought the comments were very telling. Hope everyone had a good weekend and when I load the pictures onto the other computer I'll post some. We had a very busy weekend here!

UPDATE*** Here they are:
Presents from Grandma and Grandpa
cutting the horseshoe cake

















love the blanket from cousin Sydney

with their babies


xo Kim

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey Kim,
Just wanted to tell you how good of a job you are doing at keeping your cps straight!!! LOL...
Thank you for always being a good friend,living comments(whomever they might be for!!) .No seriously, thank you... Hannah is our little medullo butt kicker , I believe in her!!
Love
Mimi

Anonymous said...

A BELATED HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, COLBY. You are a very special "Big Sister" to Hannah.
Love, The Griffins

Anonymous said...

Hi there Hannah!
I must have been sleeping through your MAW post, because I missed it somehow. But, I am so happy for you to get a pool! That is great! MAW really is a cool thing. They give you the opportunity to make memories in way you might not ever get the chance to. We are so thankful for Kasey's MAW trip that he took. You will have tons of fun this summer with a new pool to lounge around in. You'll have to get a new pair of sunglasses, a new swim suit, a floaty of some kind, some SPF 45, and stock up on little umbrella's for your fruity drinks! We have a pool, I am only speaking from experience!
Hope your having a great week! Happy Late Birthday Colby!
Amy... Kasey's mom