Tuesday, Dec. 11, 2007

Sorry for the delay in the post, but I think someone has put our clock on warp speed and time is just flying by. Clinic was difficult for Hannah again, just a lot of drama. Hannah received an extra drug along with the chemo as a preventive medicine for pneumonia. She has had this drug 2 other times, without too much difficulty, but it was really bothering her stomach yesterday. The drug lowers your blood sugar so that you feel nauseous. She surprised me though by eating some ice cream on the way home from clinic.

Even more surprising was that her counts have remained fairly good and stable so far throughout this cycle. If she was feeling better, she would be able to go to school right now. But, with so many kids out sick and with Hannah not feeling very well herself, she just can't go right now. I am anticipating she won't be back until at least after the first of the year. She is so fatigued. She got up this morning at 10:15! It was good to see her sleep in, but she had a stomach ache when she woke up. We stayed at home today, did some homework, and only left to pick up Colby.

Tonight we got out the Christmas decorations to decorate the tree and the inside of the house. Hannah was very excited, but just so tired. She alternated between putting the ornaments on, resting, and crying. I must say the tree looks great, although the rest of the decorations are still in the boxes in the middle of the living room. I'm contemplating leaving them there until after Christmas! Think anyone would notice?

Hannah and I made our first Christmas cookies today. We had made the dough last week, and never baked them. We put so much work into making these cute little Santa cookies, but they were a disaster. Their heads, arms and legs fell off after baking, so they were more like Santa parts! They sure tasted good, but what a waste! We had picked out about 12 different cookies to bake this year, but after today, I have decided that we will be making "spring cookies" this year for everyone. This will be the first year that I don't make thousands of cookies for family and friends, but I just can't do it. Christmas is 2 weeks away and I am so far behind! When it comes down to it, what really matters is that we are all able to celebrate together, Hannah is done with chemo, and I hope this is a new start for her. Grandma and Grandpa are coming out for Christmas and bringing Sydney (my sister's daughter who lives in Illinois), so they are VERY excited about that. We have a lot to be thankful for this year.

I will leave you with a few pictures of us picking out our Christmas tree, and the decorating tonight.

xoxo Kim

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not to worry everyone's December clocks are out of whack! I would sy though that you should take your clock and throw it out the window, each days challenge is enough, not to worry about time and other people- PLEASE!!! Also baking??!!- we should be bringing you guys cookies, and I am guessing by spring- everything will be and taste sweeter around here, don't you agree?

Hannah I am glad to here your counts are hanging in there thru this round- again keep up your TERRIFIC work! Do you think Tod is helping out here? They say special pets can make you feel better, if so tell all the kids at clinic to get a dog!!! And I am glad to hear that ice cream makes you feel better - me too!

Colby I have a special messsage for you- you were awesome at the concert, the brass quintet was exceptional!

And Kim I think you could start a trend with the decorations left in the box, we left a couple like that this year, just so much one can do, right?!

That is so great to hear that your family will be celebrating with you this Christmas here in Mattituck- we better order some snow for them!

Be well- hang in there....so close, so close!

With love, Anne Salice

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim and Hannah,
I say leave the box of decorations in a corner!--I only put out half of what I normally do. And as for baking---I will be lucky if I get a tray of brownies together for my moms on Christmas day!!--What is important is that everyone is home and able to celebrate together!!! How much things change in a year! I hope Hannah's counts continue to remain high.
Kaitlyn was so happy to see Hannah in clinic--It was all she talked about for two days!
Hope to see you soon
Love Carolyn and Kaitlyn