Thursday, August 23, 2007

Hello from the hospital. Hannah awoke this morning with a temp of 100.7. Doesn't seem high, but anything over 100.4 and it's an issue for chemo kids. I waited awhile and tried to get it to come down, but it seemed to hover around 100.5-100.7. She really didn't feel well, was complaining of stomach pain, and wasn't eating. Knowing that her ANC to fight off infections was only at 50 on Tuesday, I called and they said to bring her in right away. When we arrived at clinic about 2pm, she didn't have a temperature! I was ready to walk out the door, until they brough in her new counts, her ANC is now only 8! It might as well be zero, she has no ability at all right now to fight off anything. I tried to convince them to let us go since she had no fever, but with counts that low, they said she would almost surely be admitted through the ER in the middle of the night. We didn't want that, so here we are.

It took us about 6 hours to get up onto the floor and into her bed. She is now sleeping, and it's a good thing because it's about 20 degrees in our room-our roommate likes it cold! We will most likely move tomorrow if we can arrange it. We have to wait for 2 negative cultures in a row, they take one every 24 hours. So, if nothing shows up the earliest we can leave is Saturday evening. Her temp did go back up tonight slightly, so we'll see what happens. The one positive is that her hemoglobin is still not under 8, although it's lower than it was on Tuesday, and her platelets are lower too, but on the very low end of the range. So, that means she still does not need a blood or platelet transfusion, which we are thankful for.

One other positive to mention is now that we will be in the hospital for the Friday afternoon candy cart rounds from Smiles for Scott, we will be able to present them with the donation in person from Hannah's bake sale. I hope Scott's mom will be here, so Hannah can give the money directly to her. We're both looking forward to it.

We'll check in again when we have some more information.

xoxo Kim

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there you guys. you are in my thoughts and prayers for higher counts. I do hope you get a chance to give Scott's mom the check. Keep strong, keep smiling...love you both!
Mrs
V

Anonymous said...

Dear Hannah Love,
I am so sorry to hear you had to go into the hospital but you know that with a fever, it is the best place to be and try not to get any other germs. I pray you are feeling better today and are able to get home soon and enjoy the last few days of summer fun and beaching.
I have been upstate and just returned the other day and now leaving again to NH to of course see my little Jacob. The family is moving to a new apartment and grandma is there to help and have some fun too. I Leave on Sunday and won't be back until the following Sunday and then off to school we go. I hope to get in some beach days before work starts.
Wow, what fun you had at the aquarium the penguins are so adorable. Was that the first time you were there? I bet the penguins loved you beautiful smile.
Well, that garden of tomatoes in incredible. I really miss having my own garden. I sure know where to come next season.
Great job at the bake sale. How special of you to do such a worthy cause. You truly are an amazing young girl.
As of said before- not much keeps you down-already practicing for Lacrosse and look at you go girl.
Keep up the good spirits and always think positive in spite of those rough days.
I pray all your counts come up in acceptable levels and you continue to move forward.
I hope to write when I am away because I think my daughter's computer may be down for awhile.
Hope not.
I Love You Much,
Love & Blessings,
Mrs. Baker (Lynnis)