Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Hannah did well today, and the only side effects from this last round appear to be a bit of tiredness. We left school early today, and she was very tired for Mrs. V, her tutor. She went to bed at 6pm tonight, right after she ate only an ear of corn for dinner. Otherwise, she has been her normal happy self today.

I have struggled on whether I wanted to include this poem here, but have finally decided to include it. I don't know who the author is, but I read it on an online group for pediatric brain tumors. This life is very hard to explain sometimes, so most of the time when people ask you how it's going, you can only respond "ok". It is not a rosy poem, it's a quick glimpse into the life of a child who has cancer. These words are so true, although not that nice to hear. If you would rather skip it, I understand. Maybe not the best for young kids to read either. I certainly HOPE it will never be anything any of you will ever have to hear. We need a cure for this awful childhood disease so that no other child will suffer this way.

xoKim

I HOPE YOU NEVER UNDERSTAND

I hope you never have to hear the words
“Your child has cancer”.
I hope you never have to hear
“The prognosis is not good”.
I hope you never have to watch your child
prepare to undergo chemo,
have a “port” surgically implanted in their chest,
be connected to an IV pole,
look at you with fear in their eyes and say,
“Mommy will it be okay?”

I hope you never have to hold your child while they vomit green bile.
I hope you never have to feed them ice chips for lunch.
I hope you never have to watch the “cure” you pray for
slowly take away your child’s identity, as they,
lose their hair,
become skeletal,
develop severe acne,
become barely able to walk or move,
and look at you with hope in their eyes and say,
“Mommy will it be okay?”

I hope you never have to stay in the hospital for weeks at a time,
where there is no privacy, sleeping on a slab, your face to the wall,
where you cry in muffled silence.
I hope you never have to see a mother,
alone, huddled in a dark hospital corridor,
crying quietly,
after just being told “there’s nothing more we can do”.


I hope you never have to watch a family
wandering aimlessly,
minutes after their child’s body has been removed.
I hope you never have to use every bit it energy you have left,
with all of this going on around you
to remain positive, and the feelings of guilt, sorrow, hope and fear overwhelm you.
I hope you never have to see your child’s head bolted to a table
while they receive radiation.

I hope that you never know what it is like to take your child home,
(grateful but so afraid)
in a wheelchair because the chemo has damaged their muscles,
35 pound lighter,
pale, bald and scarred.
And they look at you with faith in their eyes and say,
“It’s going to be okay Mom.”

I hope you never have to face the friends that have stuck by you and hear them say,
“Thank God it’s all over”
because you know it will never be over.
Your life becomes a whirl of doctors, blood tests and MRI’s,
and you try to get your life back to normal
while living in mind-numbing fear that any one of these tests could result in hearing the dreaded words:
“The cancer has returned”.

I hope you never have to experience any of these things.
Because only then
Can you really understand.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there my little Hannah Banana! It was, as always, so wonderful to see you today. We certainly had a lot of laughs during our time today...I wish I could be there to see you in your play but I have other students during that time. I know that you will be fabulous. I hope mom takes LOTS of pictures so I can see how wonderful you were! I will see you after I get back from Florida. In the meantime, work hard for Mrs. T, I will be thinking of you and mom and will be checking back to see how you are doing.
Love
Mrs. V

Anonymous said...

Kim
God Bless your family. The poem definitely speaks volumes about what you are all going through. You are continually in my thoughts and prayers.
Love
karenann

Anonymous said...

Oh Kim- that poem was powerful. NO we will never understand, but we will feel, please feel our strength and prayers for all of you. Each person carries their own burdens and heartache, some however carry a heavier load, you are not alone.
As always, with heartfelt love and prayers,
Anne

Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah,
That was a really neat picture of you holding the baseballs autographed by the Yankees. I'm sure Derek Jeter will be in the Hall of Fame someday. Joe Girardi was one of our favorite players back when he played with the Cubs. We're still hoping that he will be the manager of the Cubs in the future.
We enjoyed hearing about you and your family having fun riding all of the rides. I bet that was an exciting day for everyone!! Keep up your good work and your smiles!!
Shay, Karl, Reid and Riley Gast

Anonymous said...

Dear Hannah Sunshine,
I was so happy to see you perform in your play yesterday. You did a wonderful job. You go Hannah. I was especially glad to finally give you your completed gift. I pray you will feel all the warmth, love, and comfort and all my prayers to you when you use your quilt. Also that all the flowers will send you much happiness and sunny days.
I am so sad I did not get to see you today at school. I heard you were outside waving goodbye to the buses.Unfortunately, I was stuck down at the cafeteria awaiting for other pick-ups.
I will see you this summer though. I want to come visit and learn about those webkinz.
Thank you Hannah love for always making my days so special, you are my true kindered spirit and I send you much love and peace.
I Love you much
Love & Blessings,
Mrs. Baker (Lynnis)

Anonymous said...

Hannah Banana, Kim and Colby,

It was so good to be a part of your day we had alot of fun. Mom just sent a poem for all of us to read We can look around us and cancer is everywhere Moms,Dads, relatives, friends and precious little ones like you. We dont know why.. I believe God has a plan for all of us, so you stay strong my bright little star and keep those smiles and your Faith even when the days are tough. Fight Hannah Fight we all love you and are praying for you always. Romans 15v 13 says...
"May the God of Hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit..
I know that is deep but it is what stood out in my Bible today. Love to you and your Family always

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Hannah Sunshine,
I pray all is well and you and your family are enjoying the beautiful weather we are having lately.
I can not believe I do not have to get up early on Monday to get ready for work at school. I now will catch up on my reading, quilting, and knitting projects.
I know you will be preparing for your next treatment this week. May God grace you with complete strength and rest to your body to endure your next appointment. Please remember you will be covered in pray always and surrounded by angels. Wrap yourself in your quilt and remember all my love and prayers are threaded in this quilt.
May God spread his love and radiant light upon you at all times.
Thank you for being you that always spreads sunshine on my days.
I Love you much,
Love & Blessings,
Mrs. Baker (Lynnis)

Anonymous said...

HI Hannah!! I just wanted to say that Jack came home the other day and told me what a good job u did in your play! Congrats! I wish I could have seen it.

Kim that was a heart-breaking, touching poem. please know that we know it is not over and continue to pray daily........U are so strong......Kristin M.

Anonymous said...

We are sending lots of prayers and love and hope that you know while we may not completely understand, we all admire the strength that you carry through this ordeal and when you think that you can't do it one more day - we are doing our best to help carry you through it.

Love you all lots and lots!

Randy, Angela, Logan, and Noah