Tuesday, June 12, 2007

We are back home now, we got home last night after 10pm. They don't have a definitive answer on Hannah's infection, the sample could have been tainted, or she could possibly have had some growth, especially considering that her fever has been up and down since her last round of chemo. However, the culture was positive for staph coag negative-which is pretty much on everyone's body, it just doesn't matter to us because we can fight it off and she can't right now.

They allowed us to come home last night, with Hannah receiving IV anitibiotics twice daily at home. That means her port is accessed and I have to administer the drugs via an IV with a pump system morning and night. I was trained this morning by a home care nurse, and although I think I could do it in my sleep from watching the nurses so often, it's a bit different when you have to do it yourself. I have to set up the pump, flush her port, be sure all the settings are correct, flush her again, heplock the port, watch for any signs of problems or reactions, etc. etc. I don't know if it's more nerve wracking than the shots or not yet!

She will be on these antibiotics until Monday, just in time for her to return to clinic on Tuesday for another round of chemo. This will be outpatient during the day only, at least that is what we are expecting.
So it's good to be home, we hope we won't have another stay in the hospital until July, when it's her next planned 6 day admission for chemo. Here is a picture of Colby and Hannah decorating Hannah's birthday cake in the hospital before they both had BIG pieces. Hannah and I made the cake, it was a 4 layer chocolate, white and lemon cake with wild bird animals! We gave the rest to the nurses, yummy!


xoxoKim

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gald you are all home! Holy cow what a cake!It is beautiful.I bet it was delicious,too. Maybe you'll grow up to be a famous baker and make special cakes for the celebrities.
Be well.
Love,
The Bugdins

Anonymous said...

Hola Hannah!

That is one marvellous cakey creation - what colors - what birds - what dots - just spectacular.

I am glad to hear you are back home - you rest up, find something to eat, then find some more and have a great time! Remember bacon, quesadilla's, spagetti whatever sounds good to you - oh yeah - lots and lots of ice cream too!!

If you dont end up as a famous baker you could always be an artist - those color combinations are just the ticket -

Love,

Liza

Anonymous said...

Welcome home, and happy belated birthday Hannah! That is the most colorful cake I have ever seen, beautiful!!
Kim you know if I can be of any assistance with the meds, do not hesitate to give me a call!!
Good luck next Tuesday- may it please be a quick in and OUT!!!
Love and prayers,
Anne Salice

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Hannah Sunshine,
I hope you had a wonderful rest at home in your own bed. I am glad you are feeling better and those antiboditics are working well.
Wow, that is some cake! How long did that take to make? I hope you ate a huge piece.
I hope I can come visit soon. I know how important it is not to catch any germs.
You are beautiful.
Give Mom some hugs and kisses for me and tell her I will email later.
Off to work I go.
I Love you Much
Love & Blessings,
Mrs. Baker (Lynnis)

Anonymous said...

I get updates every day from Grandma and I also talked to mom yesterday. I heard that you ate 6 pancakes the morning after you came home. That is great news!!
I am hoping that you keep up the good eating work. I am hoping that we can come and visit soon. I am going to be sending you some bandages that we found.
I love the cake and it looks like it would have tasted really good.

Thinking of you every day,
Love Aunt Susie

Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah,
I am so happy to know you have been eating. I heard you were eating pancakes. Yum Yum. I have not had pancakes in awhile maybe I will make some this weekend. Have you had any local strawberries yet? My daughter bought some the other day absolutely delicious. Try some with a mound of whip cream.
Just wanted to send a quick note to let you know you are thought of everyday and every moment.
I send you all my love and much sunshine your way.
I love you much my kindered spirit.
Love & Blessings
Mrs. Baker ( Lynnis)

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Hannah and Mom,
Sending all my love and hugs to you.
I pray you are feeling much better and still eating well.Any more of that cake left. Yummy!
How is little Pony webkinz doing? Did you get to play with him yet?
Did you see any of the game Wednesday night with the Yankees. Great job they did 7-2. Go Yankees Go.
Have a restful day and stay strong my love.
Love & Blessings,
Mrs. Baker (Lynnis)