Friday, June 1

We came home today from the hospital. Hannah didn't have any more swelling, although her right eye is just a slight bit off it seems. Her doctor said today that now we know that Hannah seems to be very sensitive to the drugs, so it's something we have to keep an eye on. We were home for only 10 minutes when I had to call the hospital because Hannah was flushed and had a temp of 100.3. Anything of 100.4 in chemo patients warrants an automatic trip to the hospital to be sure there is no infection. The doctors said to wait a 1/2 hour, and retest. I gave her a quick bath, and started unpacking and repacking our bag. Luckily, the temp went down, and it's almost normal now.

She is very tired, due to her blood counts:
WBC 2.31 Acceptable but range is 4.6-10.2
ANC 1917 Nearly normal, this is the level to fight off infection
HgB 9 Low, range is 12.2-18.1
PLT 78 Extremely low, should be 142-424

The doctor said these low platelet and red blood counts already indicate the need for a platelet infusion, and to be prepared to stay for that when we come in next week (it takes 4 hours minimum). Between now and then Hannah will be on G-CSF (Neupogen) shots at home to boost her white blood cell count. Unfortunately, it doesn't do anything to increase her platelet or red blood cells, those have to come back on their own.

A home care nurse will come tomorrow to instruct me on how to give the shot. If there is one thing that Hannah really does not like through all of this, it is all the pokes from the shots, IV's, and the port accesses. She was not happy today when they gave her the shot in the hospital, and I'm not quite sure how I'm going to be able to do it here. It took two of us today to give it to her. But, it's important she have them, to help increase her white blood cells.

It's good to be back home. Also, we want to say thank you to all of the people supplying us with such great food. I do not have emails for most of you, to email you personally, but we would like you to know what a big help it's been to us. Everything is so yummy!

xoKim

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah Banana,

Abigail and Joseph found some bandaids for you. They do notlike shots either and are sorry you have to have so many. We miss seeing you I cant wait to see what your Birthday cupcakes are going to look like you know Abigail loves animals, your mom will have to teach us her recipe. I will be on love lane today selling raffles tickets to raise $$ for seeing eye dogs-I'm going to bring Rahja we will see how she does she will probably just sleep and snore. We hope to see you at the Gymnastics show tonight if not I will take some pictures or a video for you. Kepp strong little star.
Love the Graeb Family

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmm, there's only one thing librarians love more than books - that's birthday cupcakes! We'll be looking forward to your delivery! The picture of you with your white hat and earmuffs on is my new computer wallpaper - love seeing your big smile every time I go on my computer!
I used to hate getting shots until I realized that it feels like a pinch and if you pinch yourself, it only hurts for a second. It seemed to hurt more if I THOUGHT about it for more than the second it took. So I look away, think "Quick pinch" and it's over with in the blink of an eye. Maybe if you try to think of your shots as being quick pinches that will help you get healthy and strong, that will help. Just a suggestion - I try to remember that kids with diabetes need shots every day to keep them healthy. Mrs. Tepfenhardt probably had to go through that until she had her insulin pump put in. But I bet she still has to stick her finger every day to check herself. Maybe you could ask her how she handles having to get 'pinched' so much.
Love,
Ms. Charters

Anonymous said...

Dear Hannah Love,
I guess I have to change my introduction writing to you if you try to guess who I am.
I am so happy to hear you have gained a few pounds. good job. I know how difficult it can be to eat under these circumstance. I am also thankful your fever went down.
I feel badly you have to get those shots- but remember they help to bring up those blood counts to keep you strong and steadfast. I know you can do it. I will pray for God to help you through those times too.
Rest up my spirited girl and you should feel much better for your special birthday celebration. I look forward to seeing you soon.
I love you much
Love & Blessings,
Mrs. Baker (Lynnis)
My friend Mrs. Hurz's daughter has always called me Mrs. Baker Lynnis
that's why I sign my name like that.

Anonymous said...

Happy Day to you Sunshine,
Ipray this day fines you feeling better and stronger. I know how tiring having treaments can be and receiving shots when necessary.
I found some bandaids but you probably already have them by now but will send on anyway.
How is Mom coming with those cupcakes? What is your favorite flavor? I am sure the cupcakes will be just yummy. The best.
I saw Mrs. Volinski the other day and am so glad she is tutoring you she is alot of fun and I know you will like her too.
I look forward to seeing your beautiful smile around the school building real soon. Remember you always brighten my day. Hang in there amazing girl you are top notch.
I love you much
Love & Blessings
Mrs. Baker (Lynnis)

Anonymous said...

Hi hannah, Congratulations on your first holy communion. Grace made her communion that day too! We had the 12o'clock session. You looked so beautiful in your flower headpiece. We have not seen you or your mother in a long time. Maybe we can come and visit. Grace has two webkinzs a cat and a monkey. She LOVESSSSSSSSSSS monkeys. Do you like monkeys? Love Mrs. Izzo and Grace