Thursday, April 26

Today Hannah went to school without mom! She did have her aide with her full time, but she was happy allowing me to leave her at school, just like the old days. She is just thriving at school, and even asks to do homework at night. She's a superstar! She is a bit behind the class in certain concepts, they are studying the water cycle right now, but she doesn't seem to notice so much and keeps on working. Tomorrow the class has their "author's tea" where they recite poems they have created, illustrated and published. She is very excited. If I can make it through without crying like a baby, it will be a miracle.

We met with Hannah's oncologist this week. Hannah will be receiving treatment at Schneider Children's Hospital in New Hyde Park on Long Island. We will be using a slightly different protocol from Dr. Allen at NYU, administered by Dr. Atlas at LIJ (Schneider's). Dr. Allen's protocol uses a slightly different method for one of the drugs, which may help to spare her hearing. She goes next week for baseline audiogram and blood work, then starts chemo probably a week and a half after that. The doctors informed us that Hannah will not be able to attend school at all in the next 9 months, and possibly longer, but we're still looking into that, and hope that some school is possible.

So for the next couple of weeks we are trying to have as much fun as possible. Hannah went to girl scouts this afternoon and had a great time up to her elbows in dirt at the greenhouse. Actually, the dirt covered every part of her, including her bald head, but who cares. For right now, she needs to be a kid without any worries.

xoxo Kim

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lots of prayers coming your way from your Illinois family! I am so proud of Hannah for demonstrating how truly strong she is - my favorite visual of her is of her with her goofy goggles on jumping in to the pool last summer! I can't wait to do that again soon!

Love you all!

Angela

Anonymous said...

Dear Hannah,
Its Lynsey. I hope you are having lods of fun right now at school. I can't wait to come and see you in in the summe! I hope you can get a little bit of school in during cemo.

Love,
Lynsey P.

Anonymous said...

You go girl!!!!! Just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you. Seeing your bright, shining smile in your pictures, makes me smile too! Say hello to Mommy, Daddy, Colby and Riley for me.

Love Aunt Paige

Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah Love
I am so happy to see you at school and enjoying your time with your classmates and teacher.
Your truly are an amazing yound girl and I love to see your steady determination each day.
Hey How are the Yankees doing? I have not been following the games?
Hope you did not go over to the Boston side!!!
Well, I am in Baltimore this weekend surprise my sister who is arriving tomorrow from Minesota. I hope the weather will be shiny.
Have a great weekend with your friends and family.
I look forward to seeing you on Monday.
Thank you for all your smiles and always brightening my day.
Love & Blessings
Mrs. Baker (Lynnis)

Anonymous said...

Dear Hannah,
It's Kate. I hope that you are having fun with all of your friends at school and I can't wait to see you in the summer. Talk to you later. Keep doing what you're doing. See ya!!