Friday, April 27, 2007

I realized today that I have to start including the year on my posts because I will still be doing this next year. Now that's a thought.

Hannah really gave us a scare today. She awoke and threw up, just like she did before she was diagnosed. She then appeared to be fine, so we went to PT, where she promptly threw up again. This is so indicative of her pre surgery days, it was very scary. We immediately called three doctors, and were able to talk with her new oncologist, who said it is very common with medulloblastoma kids to need anti nausea meds for quite some time after surgery, radiation and chemo. Hannah went off her meds this week, one week post-radiation. He said it did not mean the tumor was back or anything else, and that we had no need to worry. She didn't have any other symptoms, and after I gave her the med again, she perked up and has been fine the rest of the day. For a short period of time though, it was quite nerve wracking.

Hannah did go to school today for her author's tea. This is an event that the children have been preparing for by creating, illustrating and publishing their own poems. Hannah got up, without assistance, and read at the microphone. The one poem she had written in Boston about how much she missed her class and wished she was home. This came immediately following a friend's poem entitled "my friend Hannah" where she talked about Hannah and wondered "why did Hannah have to go away". Talk about a tear jerker, at least I wasn't the only one in the room a bit misty eyed.
She is now home playing horseopoly with Grandma and Grandpa on their last night in town. I was trying to coax them into a few more nights, but they will come back soon. We sure will miss them, as many of my friends in town have pointed out also. They have quickly become part of our community here, and have made many friends. They have been such a tremendous help, it's going to be quite and adjustment after they leave. I know Hannah will miss them also. Thanks mom and dad, we love you!

xoxo Kim

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah,

Glad the authors tea went well, I always enjoy them when I get to join in. It is nice to know you are back and school and happy there. Keep up the great work sweetheart.

Love
Liza

Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah,
Thought I'd check in to say hello again. It must be great to be back home. Wasn't the weekend really nice here in Long Island! The trees have so quickly bloomed and the leaves are just popping out. Have a great week in school!

Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah! I am so glad that I know you - your bravery is inspirational and I am so proud of your positive attitude and your strength.

You are the second Hannah that I know that is SO strong. That name must make you something very special!

You are always in my thoughts and prayers and I can't wait to go fishing and swimming with you again soon! Have a great rest of the week!

Your cousin Angela from Illinois